Off-topic: speed reading like spritz

As the title suggests, this is a non-machine-learning, non-vision, non-python post *gasp*.
Some people in my network posted about spritz a startup that recently went out of stealth-mode. They do a pretty cool app for speed reading. See this huffington post article for a quick demo and explanation.
They say they are still in development, so the app is not available for the public.

The app seemed seems pretty neat but also pretty easy to do. I said that and people came back with "they probably do a lot of natural language processing and parsing the sentence to align to the proper character" and similar remarks.
So I reverse engineered it. By which I mean opening the demo gifs in Gimp and counting letters. And, surprise surprise: they just count letters. So the letter they highlight (at least in the demo) is only depending on the letter of the word.
The magic formula is
highlight = 1 + ceil(word_length / 4) . They might also be timing the transitions differently, haven't really looked at that, I must admit.
After this revelation, I coded up my own little version in javascript.
Obviously the real value of an app like that is integration with various ecosystems, browser integration etc...
But  if you are just interested in the concept, you can paste your favorite (or maybe rather least favorite given the nature of the app?) e-book into my webpage and give it a shot.
The code is obviously on github and CC0.
I wouldn't try to use it commercially though, without talking to spritz.

Comments

  1. Cool! Check out openspritz on github too

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! Will save me the trouble of making my own, thanks.

    maybe an option for the number of syllables to display...several words would be more 'scan like'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me nothing works better than attending a speed reading seminar to improve the speed reading efficiency. Of course it is always better to hear someone sharing their experience from around the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Machine Learning Cheat Sheet (for scikit-learn)

A Wordcloud in Python

MNIST for ever....

Python things you never need: Empty lambda functions